An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Cute memory from the vast field of bad ones..

Don't ask how this ever popped into my head..


As a child, I didn't have the happiest of all childhoods..or even anywhere near a conventional family life. To cut straight through all the red tape and go straight to the relevant aspect of my chilhood of this post, I'll say that I was allowed to watch violent action and horror movies at a tender, single digit age as a kid. No questions asked. And as odd as it may seem for a 6 year old to be obsessed with horror movies and NOT be scared or need a night light afterwards, It truly was that way with moi. AND I did not grow up to be a serial killer (shhhh....quiet brain you've said too much). Also, I grew up speaking nothing but Spanish and knew English because of TV. So I didn't have a vast knowledge of the use of the language as a normal kid would have. It's hard enough for an immigrant to fully understand the English language and how its used so imagine me at a tender age to be able to comprehend clichés and figurative speech.

So I remember as a young kid, when this movie came out



"Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives"
1986


I was naive and remember I wanted to see it...but I thought because of the movie poster and subsequent video cover, Jason's name was "Jason Lives". I didn't understand it exactly and didn't register that it was a catchphrase for the movie. I saw the tombstone and for a long time I referred to Jason as "Jason Lives". LOL!! I guess I never paid enough attention to the movies to hear everyone call him Jason Voorhees (his actual name).

Oh lord. I thought it was a cute kid moment. Very few times does a nice memory that makes me smile emerge from the dark pit of my vast mind.

Toodles!!


SPANISH WORD FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Today's word is "AFINACIÓN".
And it means "tune up, calibration"


"The car needs a tune up" = "El coche necesita una afinación"

1 Comments:

A mí me pasó mucho con canciones. En el himno nacional (México) yo cantaba "..un soldado en cada hijo de Dios", en vez de "...un soldado en cada hijo te dio". Y en la canción que el coro de niños le cantó al papa en su primera visita a México, cantaro "Hermano" de Roberto Carlos y hay una parte que dice "me dan la certeza que siempre estuviste a mi lado", pero yo entendía "me dan la cerveza que siempre estuviste a mi lado". Pero tenía 7 años. Se me perdona, no?

Linda la idea de "la palabra de hoy", en tus micro lecciones de espanich.

Bye :)

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense