An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Re-Rewind and Stupid Americans

Happy 2006!




I hope everyone had a happy ringing in of the new year. Mine was pretty low key. I spent it at home with my boo drinking and watching movies. Hurrah. But I also didn't ant to go out anywhere..so there u have it.

So other than that, nothing's new. I'm hoping 2006 is a great year for me. I'm very happy with my life, despite people's judgement of my life and assuming I'm not. You know that always bothers me about society. People put pressure on people, especially younger folks, to achieve a certain level of "success" by a certain point or age in your life. It's almost as if you're set on living on an hourglass and by the time you reach 20,21,22..etc you're expected to be making this much money, have this position or own this or that. It's ridiculous. What about people who are indifferent to that lifestyle? Or what if people's goals don't involve any of these factors that society deems important? It is because of that that we have 20somethings on medication, therapy and having quarter-life crises at such an early stage in life. Thank God I stopped caring years ago about shit like that. I used to be super hard on myself about things like that, COMPARING other people's lives to myself and feeling down or upset at myself for not being where others that are my age are. People like that just end up living unhappy lives because their lives will never compare to others, no matter how good you have it. And also, People like that end up projecting their insecurities unto others and always end up judging others by making silly observations on the other's "life" and end up sounding like an asshole because none of their comments have no logic behind it. Mmm hmm, It's like "the grass is always greener on the other side".

Oh boy, I had a dumb American moment the other day! I'm awful. I ordered lunch at Sinbad's, a Middle-eastern restaurant. I called and the lady had a big and heavy accent. I swear I normally don't have a problem with accents, all I do is listen attentively and for the most part can make out what they're saying. I ordered my food, and noticed on the menu for any sandwhich it said "add hummus for 1.00". So I told her "can I get the hummus on the side?". And I thought she said "ok""..but like I said, I couldn't understand what she said...and stupid me was like "yes, ok...uh huh". How bad. Anyway, so I go to pick up my food, and I noticed my fee was like 11.00! I'm like..."whoa! I thought it was 4.99 plus 1.00 for the hummus?". She said "well that's why I asked if u wanted on the sandwich or on side. It's 1.00 on sandwich but on the side it'll be charged as a side order of 4.99". So I boldly told her, "Well I couldn't understand what you were saying. Oh no! I felt awful! She looked at me like, "what a jerk!". But I couldn't lie! It was the truth! So she ended up charging me for the sandwich and giving me the Hummus. I was really nice about it and even apologized, though it wasn't my fault for the misunderstanding. I swear I never have a problem with foreigners or accents, in fact I welcome diversity. I didn't mean to come off as a dumb typical American who subtitles everyone who doesn't sound like they came out of Michigan.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

3 Comments:

oh no! i am one of those people having a quarter life crisis, but not for the reasons you listed thank god. Maybe I will post my reasons on my blog one day.


PS, you're racist!

hahahahaha! estoooopid! jk

you know i compleat;y agree with you.im no where near where i "should" be yet, im very happy with my life. the one thin i now need is to move out and ill be set.

here is to a good 2006!

When I first moved to the States I was working in a sports equipment store and I had to answer the phone on a regular basis. One day this cajun asshole told me to pass on the phone to someone who actually knew how to speak English. Ever since then I made myself the point to speak better English and I think I've been doing fine so far. Not perfect, just fine. I mean, after all, I speak 7 languages. I'm sure your hummus selling lady was not as concerned as you think she was or as concerned as you are. :-)

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense