An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

2005..what no "pop"?

This is the year in which I bought the least amount of new releases. I don't know aout how the rest of you feel...but the last year in which I ought zillions of new releases and enjoyed them was 2002. I miss those days, when pop music was actually present and not overdone with hip hop.

My fave CD that I bought this year is

Shakira - Fijacion Oral V.1

I don't think I've listened to a new CD as much as this one.

Then there's also my other favorite

Daniela Romo - Es La Nostalgia

Surprise surprise, no? As a fan of this woman, I welcomed her trip to acoustic and stripped down sounds. This is a first for her, as Daniela Romo is known for her upeat music as she is for her big ballads. This CD may come even more as a surprise, ESPECIALLY since her 2001 album Ave Fenix was A DANCE ALBUM, and an excellent pop album may I add. Every person I played it to loved it.

OTher favorites this year..

Diana Anaid - Beautiful Obscene
great rock pop chick record, much better than Kelly Fartface


Yerba Buena - Island Life
This CD will keep u dancing to island and arab rhythms


Tatiana - Acustico

One of many artists I love this year who released acoustic albums. Tatiana's exceptional as she is IGNORED by people as she turned to children's music. This surprisingly wonderful CD is acoustic versions of her biggest 80's hits when she was a pop princess...AND HER VOICE. She sounds so pretty. She never had a big voice but her tone here is flawless.


James Blunt - Back To Bedlam
Despite all the hype, this CD REALLY is a good pop record, the songs are so incredibly catchy you'll forget to notice his whiney David Gray tone of his voice.


Cyndi Lauper - Body Acoustic

Though it's not the NEW album I wanted from her, this CD is a beautiful CD. This didn't try to recreate anything, and it's not a stripped down album at all. She approaches these songs in creative new ways. Take a listen sometime, u may be surprised.


John Legend - Get Lifted
Another hyped artist, I first bought this CD when it was 7.99 and I thought it was a funky mix of Hip hop and classic soul. I know it sounds generic, but John creates some elegant soul and his voice is smooth, never overdones it and knows his limits.


Amanda Miguel - Piedra De Afilar

The best record she's done since the 80's..and a fantastic return to form. This almost-entirely ballads CD is a great album full of melody and playful honesty. The title track is the only upbeat song, with a slutty double entendre theme..what do u think her "Piedra de afilar (Sharpening stone)" is?

There u have it folks, these are the CD's I thought of at the top of my head, should I forget some I shall add them later. Look for my "Fave songs of 2005" later. Toodles!

4 Comments:

I agree w/ all ur choices. Still not sure how I feel about James Blunt. But you know me, I don't like boy singers! I didn't even include Cyndi or Tatiana on my list as I considered them to be basically an equivalent to a greatest hits. But you are right, both are great albums. I hope to God Tatiana finally releases another pop album. I can only stand her euro kiddie music for so much longer! And Cyndi...well we're all on the edge of our seats waiting for the follow up to SHINE.

I simply love Yerba's new cd.

"Yo lo que quiero es un buuuuriiito!"

Too bad they didnt come to my part of town this year, I was dying to see them . . .

(BTW, you totally got me addicted to Alborada. . .can you believe she took Dona Juana's suggestion! Crazy ass Hipolita!. . Y que nombresito!)

Oh my god yes!! I hate that name! Hippopotamo is what I call her. Hehehe, yes "Alborada" is addicting. I didn't think I would like it that much, but there u have it, I can't miss one episode.

I heard this telenovela will only run for 5 months or so..and also, Maria Rojo (look October 2005 archives on my blog to see who she is) will be featured in a few episodes sometine during its run! :)

Oh si? Apoco. I'll have to look into that. I missed the first episode, but finally saw it on Friday. .the ran it again!

Daniela Romo rocks in this movie. She's a great vilan. I remember when I was little and my hair was all long like hers and i would sway from side to side singing her songs.

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense