An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Monday, December 19, 2005

Raise The Red Lantern!



Oh my god! I just found out this movie is FINA-FUCKING-LLY going to get released on DVD. This is one of my all-time favorite films of all time, and definitely a very powerful and well put story. I'm so happy! Ever since the dawn of DVD I've always wanted this released. First "Dark Habits", then "El Callejon De Los Milagros" and now "Raise The Red Lantern"!! I hope "Danzon" gets a release next!


For those who don't know this story, this Chinese film revolves around Songlian (the lovely GONG LI) in the 1920's. After her father dies, her dreams of finishing University are crushed, for what else can a woman do after a man dies? Her mother, unable to work, is forced to let her daughter marry a rich man, who already had 3 wives. She marries this man, loses her identity, her dreams, her sense of self and becomes "The Fourth Sister". This is an amazing and powerful story, as we see her personality digress into subcumming to what a woman in her position's idea of success is: Getting the favor of the husband and becoming the favored one. With this privilege comes power of the household and control, and the women all fight this battle in their own way. Some more obvious than others and some with subtle evil disguised in sweetness.


I'm happy that this is getting released and I hope a new slew of people get to be acquainted with this gem.

THE DVD is being released by Razor Entertainment on 02/14/2006

2 Comments:

oooo, i'll have to look into renting this one! :) Sounds interesting. Is it based on a book by any chance?

That I don't know...hmmm. Good question. Zhang Yimou directed it, he also did that 'Farewell My Concubine" one too. But this movie is fan-fucking-tastic. Everything about it is perfect. The settings, the costumes, the cinematography, the acting.

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense