An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

So Freddie Prinze Jr.'s Puerto Rican now, huh..


I'm off today and waiting for my Chinese food to arrive, and I did something that I normally don't do: Watch TV. I watched George Lopez, much to my boredom, but after the show, I got to see "Freddie", the new sitcom starring Freddie Prinze Jr. I noticed that in this show, they keep plugging the fact that he plays a Puerto Rican and there's a stupid and stereotypical schtick, with the fact that his Grandmother never speaks English and when she speaks, its subtitled. I'm assuming this is supposed to make her funny..."hehehe..she soudns funny cuz I don't understand her". That's how most of USA is anyway, redneck motherfuckers who always think everything Foreign is funny. Take the "40 year old Virgin" for example. I happened to see that at theatres..There are 2 Indian characters and everytime they went on screen...they said "slang" terms in their big Indian accents..and everyone in the theatre was laughing. Got to leave it to the USA to relegate anything foreign as nothing more than comedic material and not as an actual culture.

Back on track..This "Freddie" show was awful, but it got me thinking back when Freddie Prinze Jr. first hit it big during the "teen flick" boom. Yes I'm aware he is the son of "Chico & The Man"'s Freddie Prinze who was Puerto Rican before killing himself at the age of 24 when Freddie was a baby. That's most of the attention he first got from magazines, being his son and all. Yet he never capitalized on the fact that he is part latino..in magazines and interviews he never spoke of it and never has done anything public in regards to Latino organizations or anything. Basically he never publicly identified himself with the aforementioned community. Now, his career as an actor is not as hot as it once was...so what is he to do? CAPITALIZE and exploit his roots. This show is evident of that.

Good for him though....use everything he can to make $$. Maybe when Cameron Diaz's career stands at a freeze she'll do the same as Freddie.

5 Comments:

Don't be hatin'! I must stand up for my fellow Half Breed! The fact that he HASN'T spent his career leaching off his father's name is what I find admiring. He made a name for himself with having to label himself as anything but an actor. Not to mention, his career can;t be that much in the toilet if a major network was willing to give him a show. Truly washed up stars only get guest appearances on failing sitcoms like "Mad About You".

yes I went there. :)

PS, he is soooo cute, yum!

well that "washed up star" won an emmy :P

and yes he is cute :)

You're so cute at how u keep taking shots at Cyndi like it bothers me :).

I don't know why you're accusing me of hating...I basically said wwhat u said on my post. He spent his whole life not playing on his name or ethnicity, which by the way, Freddie Prinze was only half Puerto Rican himself and half Hungarian. But yet now Jr. is on a sitcom that plays nothing on ethnic stereotypes and everything is about being Puerto Rican.

And yes, his career as an actor is not as hot as it once was...hence why he even agreed to do this crappy show.

And he is indeed quite cute, isn't he.. He's not even my type and I find him adorable...though i've been told many a time that I look like him (*shrugs*).

well, at least we all agree we'd gang rape his ass! lol

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense