An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Monday, November 14, 2005

Tone deafness never stopped anyone from singing

Ugh, yesterday was such a crappy day. I was hung over from the night before and ate 2 Huaraches ("Fried and lengthy tortilla topped with cheese, red or green chile and your choice of meat") at Maxwell Street. Then I had a cup of Starbucks coffee...which must have not sit well with me because I immediately felt sick and eventually vomitted. I had to work that same night so it wasn't good. Then at work some stupid Lincoln Park jerk snapped for no logical reason at me, so that incident ruined my day. Sorry Angelica that I wasn't too happy to see you last night, you caught me at a bad time. So that was that. Today I did nothing, I decided to rest.

On the bright side, I finally got my shipment that I had been expecting! I got my Spanish LP's...including Erika Buenfil's rare and only album from 1986 titled "Se busca un corazón". This woman was and is a bad telenovela actress and back then she was one of the it girls. She looks like shit now, but boy, hearing this album....she is an AWFUL singer! I'm telling ya...whoever criticizes La Toya Jackson for her vocal weaknesses needs to hear Erika Buenfil. Did this album even have a hit? Who knows...I'm keeping it for the camp value.

It's almost Xmas...joy to the world. Anyone listening to any good Xmas albums? I recommend the following. It's hard to find a decent Xmas album..they all try too hard and sound alike. Christmas isn't all boring, some people like happy and upbeat Xmas music. I recommend

Cyndi Lauper - Merry Christmas, Have A Nice Life


Fun album, it has some interesting songs..but it does have some nice standard ballads. Her version of "Silent Night" is chilling and I love her cute self written homage to her son, Declyn titled "New Year's Baby". The "Christmas Conga" will keep you dancing. Even my own mother liked this track!

Eterna Navidad - Various (1989)


This CD is still in print..and it's 80's cheesarrific! It includes some fun Spanish songs. "Jingle Bells" by Tatiana is fun...and ditto Pandora's "Los Peces En El Rio". This CD includes "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano and not to mention...it includes the venerable, the legendary, the unique and irreplaceable Daniela Romo, with a beautiful version of "Blanca Navidad (White Christmas)". What I thought was interesting about this particular song is that Daniela, who lives in Mexico, sings this song yet nowhere in Mexico does it ever snow on Xmas...hehehe.

Look for Amanda Miguel's Christmas album, released independently last year. It's rather hard to find but I liked it too. It has a dance version of "Jingle Bells".

1 Comments:

If only I liked Shitmas. Otherwise I would be begging you for that Jingle bells dance remix, lol

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense