An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Monday, September 10, 2007

Cuts Both Ways

It's so funny how everyone finds it acceptable to be racist against Mexicans and never register how it is indeed racist.


Just this past weekend I heard 2 different comments from people at work. One person was commenting on how she hosted (or her family) a Mexican exchange student who in turn brought his cousin. And she then uttered "That's how it all starts, they give the signal to the rest of their family". And the conversation continued as if making a comment like that was at all appropriate when the topic was not immigration but rather a student exchange.


Then another person was talking about wondering whether an area was safe because it seems kinda iffy. And what was the "iffy" part? That there were always "Mexicans" walking about. Since apparently "iffy" people only come from one country.

I of course stood silent as my stance is knowing how to pick my battles. And in these cases I sit back and am a spectator to the rest of the world as only then will I be able to learn about the general public's psyche opinion on my people. Yes, my people as even though I was born and raised here in the eyes of the world I am no different than anyone else for the aforementioned racist mentality.


I'm not about to question why people say the things they say but I always find it funny how people go on about being "open and liberal" yet are selective in doing so that they make one sided and blind comments like the ones here and never think of it as being narrow minded. I suppose it's the nature of people and that's why we're always fighting one another. Today its "evil Mexicans", tomorrow who knows. I wonder if I'll live long enough to witness tomorrow's persecutee group.


SPANISH WORD FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Today's word is "INGENUA" ( een HEN ooh ah)
And it means "naive"

"Qué opinion mas ingenua!" = "What a naive opinion!"

1 Comments:

When you say, "My People" it reminds me of something someone told me once.

This person was talking about being in Louisiana. Someone asked her, "Where are your people?" because apparently, in the south, people talk about "your people," and "my people..." She replied, "My people? I don't have no people!"

lol!

You know, I think that taking racism to the extreme is the BEST way to bring it out into the open, and confront it, without really being confrontational. The funny thing is that sometimes, people don't even realize it. They're so dumb.

Don't be upset. Show them how dumb they are... but before you do that, would you explain how it is that you identify with certain "people." It's really difficult for me to comprehend what that means... essentially.

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense