An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Celebrity encounter at work

Working retail in such a busy location in Lincoln Park and consequentally because of the neighborhood, there are plenty of celebrities who stop by and stuff. I never make a big deal and in fact, most of the times, I'm quite apathetic to their celebrity status and go about treating them with the same courtesy as I would any other common schmoe. That is until today...

I was working the register today, all day...and sometime in the late afternoon, this woman and child, maybe about 8 years old..comes up to the register. Yaddah yaddah (I'm using the "Seinfeld" method to condense the story, hehehe) and then, when I look at the woman's face again....I immediately recognized her, but was second guessing myself...so I stupidly asked, "Are you Anna Chlumsky??"




Anna Chlumsky, as some of you know, was a child actor most famous for her role opposite Macauley Culkin in "My Girl". I used to watch this movie all the time as a kid, it used to be on cable 24/7 and always sat down and watched it.

Anywho, back on track..Anna seemed genuinely happy that I recognized her and gave me a very big warm smile. She looks exactly the same, just grown up, which is why I recognized her face. She also commended me on my flawless pronounciation of her last name. I guess people don't get it right? I didn't really get to talk to her, as her phone rang and picked up the call. But I did say hello and asked her if she lives in Chicago. She said no and that she was living in New York and was just visiting. I do remember reading somewhere that she went to School at the University of Chicago. I'm not sure where she's from or stuff. Either way, she seemed really nice....but my reaction was so cheesy I almost smacked myself. I was all trixie Valley Girl and was all like "Oh my god!!!! Hi!!!". Hahahaha..it was so funny at how geeked I am. Like I stated above, i've run into quite a few celebrities and I am not a "starfucker", as they call them, at all. You'll never see me asking and hounding celebrities for autographs and shit..but then there's rare cases, like today, when I'm floored and get all stupid. Hahahaha. This has happened only 4 times now...when I met Cyndi Lauper, Cristian Castro, Maria Rojo and now Anna Chlumsky.

Again, I'm not sure why I got all geeked like I did...maybe because it was unexpected and also because it was such a random encounter to run into someone who was in one of your favourite kid films? I mean who'd expect it?
Cute

4 Comments:

what other celebrities have shopped at Tower?

From my direct dealings, I saw Billy Corgan there 2 weeks ago. I've also seen John Malkovich a couple of times as well.

I grew up in Orange County and lived in Vegas for 5 years, celebrities are everywhere. I never got flustered except the time I met Jenny Jones. Hey I linked you on my blog as Honorary Spanish Diva, is that fine or do you prefer something else?

Aw, she was so cute in that movie.

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense