An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Monday, March 27, 2006

"La Madrastra"


Translation: Step-mother

What it means? It's 2004-2005's biggest soap opera in Mexico and was JUST released on DVD. I bought this on Saturday with the intentions of watching it....it's fantastic, but there's one problem....my boyfried is HOOKED!

Ever since I popped it in on Saturday, he has wanted to do nothing else but to watch "La Madrastra"! He is like addicted to it as Whitney Houston is to crack. It's hilarious but at the same time I feel like I lost my boo boo. Damn u Televisa soap operas!

For those interested in the novela...it's a really fantastic "Who Done It?!" type of soap opera. María was framed for the murder of her best friend that she didn't commit and was jailed for 20 years. Time in which her husband and family decided to erase her existance completely from her children and tried to rebuild their lives. After being freed, she longs to have her family returned to her and plots her revenge and embarks on her journey for retribution and finding out the real person who killed her friend Patricia. It's a fantastic story so far, very thrilling! I remember my mother was obsessed with this telenovela and was always curious about it. But I decided to wait for the DVD, cuz not only can u watch at your leisure but they edit out all the filler scenes and gets straight to the point. It contains ENGLISH SUBTITLES for those interested and are Spanish language-impaired

Other than that, I've been my usual self. I got my tax-refund, though it wasn't much because I don't have any children to support or any tuition to pay, I still am happy to have received something. 2005 was a crazy year for me for many reasons. I worked for half the year and the other half I was on unemployment. I celebrated and bought "South Park Season 7" featuring "Jennifer Lopez". hahaha. It was worth it for that episode alone.

Otherwise, the uphill battle continues. My mother's birthday is coming up and I'm trying to think of what to get my mammy.

6 Comments:

Are there any hot guys in this novela? that's all I care about because telenovelas are truly the lowest common demoninator when it comes to television.

Tell that to your Milwaukee sister, he looooves telenovelas. It's so funny how hooked he is to "La Madrastra".

And to be fair..the lowest denomenator are "reality shows" where people bitch about nothing. The only entertaining reality show is "The Surreal Life" cuz hasbeens that still think they're the shit are so sadly hilarious and occassionally, "America's Next Top Models", cuz girls are evil. Telenovelas are so far fetched and unrealistic, hence their appeal. I can appreciate it for its campiness, in the same way I appreciate horror films for that reason
As for hot men...if you count Sergio Mayer, then yes. I myself don't think he's good looking but he has a very nice body (and of course, there's tons of shirtless scenes). That one cute boy, I forget his name is also on this. You know the guy who looks like Peter Brady and is currently on "Alborada"? Well not like you would know, u don't watch these.

Sergio Mayer? If there are any underwear scenes Iwith him I'll get it, lol

Its funny they call "La Madrastra" a "Classic Telenovela". It is, BTW, a remake of "Vivir un poco" which was really good and was remade a few years ago under the title "Para toda la vida". I rarely get hooked on soaps but I appreciate good writing (cuna de lobos), acting (El Alma Herida), characters (Adrian esta de visita), or camp value (Rubi). Lately I've been watching "Barrera de Amor" just because I happened to catch some good bitch-slapping.
For lowest common denominator, I give you "La Escuelita de Ortiz de Pinedo" that shit is insulting!

I was hooked on that novela, specially on Bruno, he was so over the top and made up, he may as well have been a drag queen. Did you hear they are remaking "Cuna De Lobos"?, and they're making "Betty La Fea" into an english primitime soap, produced by Salma Hayek of course.

Yeah I heard about the "Cuna.." remake. That's awful, that novela is a C-L-A-S-S-I-C...how dare they! I guess for young new housewives who were toddlers when the original was out would appreciate a recreation of a classic.

That's why I'm excited about the "El Camino Secreto" remake that's currently airing in Mexico titled "Nuestro Secreto". I was 4 when the original Daniela Romo classic was on so this way I will at least see the story in some form.

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense