An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Monday, July 31, 2006

Raquel Olmedo

For years, I have admired this great Cuban-Mexican actress. But only recently did I find out she has a SINGING CAREER!




She was born and raised in Cuba but moved to Mexico in the 60's, where she now resides and workd. I first discovered her at a very young age in 2 productions. The first..she played Vicente Fernandez's mother in his movie "El Arracadas". That movie was about his parents, who were both doctors yet he grew up to be a ranchero, hahaha. Anywho, his doctor parents fled their town when they were young because they were operating on the son of a very powerful drug lord and their son didn't make it. Fearing they would be blamed for it, they had fled and everything was good and dandy, until the day years later that they found him. Vicente's father was savagely murdered and Raquel Olmedo asked her son to avenge his death, giving him her gold earring (el arracada) to wear. Trashy! But even then, she played a good job.

Then in 1988, she played a very important character in one of my childhood novelas "Encadenados" starring Christian Bach and Humberto Zurita. So since then,, I had been following her stuff and was more likely to watch a movie or novelas starring her.

Most recently, she can be seen in "Barrera de amor". She plays Doña Jacinta.



SO for years that I followed her career..I never knew that she sang, until I accidentally found one of her records on eBay.



I just got it not too long ago and I loved it! Her voice is so unique. It's very deep and powerful. Apparently she recorded a few albums and in 1975 she had a popular one called "Mitad mujer, mitad gaviota". She recorded it after the sucess of her telenovela "Lo imperdonable" that year, and toured all over the country and Latin America promoting it. This last record is STILL in print in Mexico, I think that is so cool! It must have sold well in order for it to still be available.





I'm intrigued, I must find the rest of her records! She is a very talented lady indeed! I thought she was a great actress, but now my respect for her has octupled. She also happens to be GAY as well, though its rarely ever written about. Good for her! We need more lesbians out there. I think she's really pretty too! She was born in 1939 and I think she looks great to be 67.

As a treat to you guys, I have posted a song of hers "Esta es mi vida". Download this song and tell me what u think! It's a disco track almost and the lyrics hint at "oppresion". De que, de ser lesbiana? Quién sabe.

Enjoy!

10 Comments:

Leave it to you, Dear friend, to unearth obscure actresses' obscure talents. What's next?.. You're going to tell me Lucha Villa is a great knitter? or that Lyn May is a famous hand model?.. lol... No, just kidding. Raquel Olmedo has been an intriguing character to me since my mom told me years ago "A esa señora le gustan las mujeres". I thought she only had only recorded poetry (which she did) but that song you posted is actually pretty decent. Aunque no me imagino a Doña Jacinta bailando disco.

Always a pleasure
rddp

Oh good lord. You have left the post-menopausals and are ransacking the nursing homes now. You are too weird! lol

Whatever sexbox..like you didn't run to Starbucks to buy Diana Ross's crappy "Blue" album..... mmm hmm! Ure just like me, only you come in "black broads" :P

but Diana Ross actually had a career!

So it's the age or career success that bothers you? Make up your mind.

hey, now that Say Hey is history, I don't want to lose contact, maybe you'll come to Australia one day! aussiemiguel@yahoo.com.au

I'll be in MX from 8-30 Sept, and MAYBE NYC at some point during those weeks. how far is Chicago by train, or how expensive are the flights?

Hello if somebody has seen her please I need to contact her, She is part of my family in Cuba.my last name is Rodriguez, her true name is Xiomara Rodriguez.

She is my grandpa niece.

I have tried to many times to get contact with her but it has been difficult, my aunt Magaly Rodriguez and my mom is Marilin.

I lives in Miami Fl

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense