An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Friday, June 16, 2006

I *heart* Grupero music!

Some of you out there might be saying..."who? what?"

Grupero (adj)=Regional Mexican music that blends elements of African rhythms such as the cumbia and popular music arrangements, usually emphasizing on a heavy use of synthesizers and/or organs. The name "Grupero" comes from "Grupo", as this style was popularized in the 1970's mostly by groups who would perform at "bailes".

Hope that definition helps. Ever since I was a little kid, I used to love listening to this style of music. It had incredibly catchy hooks that just devoured my sense of awareness. I remember being 6-9 years old and listening to Los Bukis, Los Yonics, Los Caminantes, Los Mier and countless others and loved it. My own mother hates this style of music and to this day criticizes me for listening to this "awful" music as she calls it. I recall in school people would call me a "brazer" (derrogatory term for Mexicans stemming from "brazero", a field worker). Unfortunately, it looks like this genre has died or is on the verge of doing so, as these groups have all faded away EVEN THOUGH their old catalogue still sells well so obviously people are still interested in this style.

My favourite groups of this genre are Los Yonics, Los Bukis (even though I hate Marco Antonio Solis) and Los Caminantes.






















Say what you say but they have some great and catchy songs. Not to mention that they actually had RHYTHM ARRANGEMENTS, not like the crap they pass off for music these days like Duranguense types like Grupo Montez De Durango and Patrulla 81. Oh well. Actually, there are 2 "Grupero" albums that I really love! One is by the trashtastic diva Veronica Castro titled "Romantica y Calculadora"



















Veronica's album was on constant repeat on my cassette player when I was a kid! Her awful vocals appealed to me because I could sing along to the songs with ease. The album was produced by Alfonso from "Los Temerarios", one of the few Grupero groups to still record and be relevant. This album was like a gay boi's dream back then. And the other album is by Bibi Gaytán titled "Manzana Verde". This last one isn't entirely Grupero but most of it is. I LOVED it. "Ya No Hay Mas" is wow!






















Well, I hope you enjoyed reading about this. In the meantime I leave you with this. It's not the greatest example, but I love this song! This is grupero all the way. Enjoy!

Los Temerarios - Mi Vida Eres Tú


viva la musica grupera

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense