An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Friday, December 14, 2007

Las Never-beens

Why does God make me fall for has-beens??


I mean in the Spanish language it's such a headache because their CD's released at the time that flopped are so hard to find. Lately, I have been jamming to a 90's never-been artist from Mexico named MARIANNE. I first knew her because she was featured on the "Mexico Voz y Sentimiento" compilation that was very popular in 1990 that featured pop stars singing Mexican standards. It wasn't until earlier this year that I found someone on Amazon selling her album for relatively cheap that I figured I would get it as I knew who she was and was curious to hear what she had to offer. Never did I expect I would like it so much.




Yes, the title track "Donde Late Mi Corazon" is indeed a Spanish cover of Celine Dion's "Where Does My Heart beat Now?". This woman has one of the most awesome voices I have heard on any pop star. It's versatile enough to appeal to young kids and balladeers. Yet she never really had a hit! It's incredible! She's somewhere along the lines of Amy Grant and Sheena Easton. So apparently she is now singing at some bar in Mexico City and periodically does musicals like Mexico's version of "Rent". Actually, she provided the singing voice of Nala in the Latin American dubbing of "The Lion King".

That I am aware of, she has recorded at least 3 albums and the only song people seem to know her for is a song called "Enciendo Una Vela", that apparently was used by Televisa for World conscious promos on their network as the song speaks on lighting a candle for world peace.

Click here to listen to "Enciendo una Vela"

So just this week. I noticed someone on Mercadolibre.com.mx was selling an album of hers from 1997 so I had to jump on it. I ended up spending 43 dollars for shipping, the CD and the 10.00 fee for using Western Union. That's another thing, why the fuck won't Mexicans open PayPal accounts??? It would make my life much easier.


Anyway, just had to share. Toodles!

3 Comments:

OMG, I absolutely LOVE Marianne!!! I've been trying to buy her cds online (since I DO own all her tapes/vinyls), but I can't seem to find them anywhere, which almost made me believe Marianne was just a fragment of my imagination, lol. Thanks for sharing this, now I know that there's still hope for me finding them. I guess I'm going to have to start going to ebay to see if I'm lucky to get any cds of hers.

Yay...another fan!


She is so awesome, such a shame that she never caught on. Where do you live? You can still buy her first album on Amazon for relatively cheap. Unlike jerkoffs who sell cutout CD's for an extortion price of 50+ dollars.

I'm starting a music blog soon and will share.

musicbeing@gmail.com

God makes us fall for "has-beens" or "never-beens" because they are just so much cooler! Who wants to like all the obvious broads??

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense