An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Day of Scares

So on Monday afternoon, at around 4:00PM, I was home and chilling and about to take Chus (my dog) out for a walk when something scary happened: Someone broke into our apartment thinking no one was home!

It was in fact really scary and confusing at the same time. I was in the kitchen with my stereo on listening to Angelfish (Shirley Manson's first band) making coffee. I wouldn't even have heard had Chus not ran to the front door arising from his usual routine of daytime slumber. When I arrived there, I heard three huge thuds at the door, then it slammed open and some bald cholo with a crowbar wearing a brown t-shirt and jean shorts came in. He saw me and honestly I don't remember if I said anything or not but he ran away immediately. I didn't know how to react as I didn't know what the situation was. Was he alone, did he have a weapon? Was he going to attack me?

My first instinct was to protect Chus and when he ran, I didn't know if he was alone and others were going to come so I tried my best to secure the door and run to the phone to call 9-1-1.

So now, we have a new set of 2 locks for our inner front door and a new lock to tide us over until we get a whole new door installed on Saturday. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified to leave the house.

It's really funny how things work out. Since it was Mother's Day, I was supposed to go visit my mother on Monday. She was to call me in the morning to let me know if she was going to be available and she never did so I never went. So I was almost not going to be home. I don't even have the strenth to imagine what would have happened had I not been home...I can't. Everything happens for a reason though. God didn't want me to go anywhere.

I actually didn't go to work today and was called by the agency for an assignment. I don't feel comfortable leaving Chus all alone all day right now and will probably stay here all week. I'd like to think this is only a temporary panic because I won't be able to live with fear like this. I'm afraid to leave the house and leaving him all alone. What if they either steal him or in the attempt to burglarize do something awful to him to control him....God, I was a wreck after all that I didn't even want to think of all the thousands of "what if's" that came to mind.. If I didn't have Chus I honestly wouldn't even be 1/4 as scared as I am. Stuff and material possesions are just things, Chus is a part of my life as important to me as breathing. I can't imagine him not being with us.

Crazy. This is the first time ever something like this has happened to me. I'm just glad nothing serious happened and what are the odds the idiot will try to do this again? I hope since he was I was home at 4:00PM on a weekday he will assume I'll be here all the time.

I'm scared. Hug me.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Oh my goodness. Sounds horrible. i dont know what I would have done in that situation. Stay safe and thanks for the happy feet comment!

Very big hug from me.

I'll get you my pretty... and your little dog too!

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. But Im glad you and Chus are ok. Other than el pinche susto, that is...
It's awful when this things happen (and I should know, after living in D.F. and being mugged 3 times there). As you wrote, things happen for a reason, and while its hard not to live in fear after something like this, I hope you move on soon and look at the brighter side of things again. As Kika said after the break-in in Almodovar's movie: "Estas cosas pasan todos los dias y esta vez me ha tocado a mi"

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense