An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Saturday, December 30, 2006

My favourites of 2006.

Well kiddies, the end has come for this year. And let me say it's been an interesting one for me. Its definitely far from being the place that I thought I would be when thinking about it but you know what? I'm healthy, young and full of love and thirst for life so I shall go places. It's also been a year of firsts for me. This is the first year that I've held on to ONE job, believe it or not! I know it sounds awful but every year I switch jobs. When I was younger it would be because I get bored of them..but my last 2 jobs have been "involuntary lay-offs". I don't see it as a travesty but moreso God's way of telling me something. What that is I have yet to find out. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though.

My favourite moments of this year...

* Meeting Bibi Gaytan
* seeing Shakeaspeare again and havign Chus play with that cute Maltese
* Discovering Raquel Olmedo's singing career!!!!
* Seeing Tiffany again with Joe and she in turn baptizing herself as "our Godmother of love".
* Being alive, healthy and employed
* Getting my Daniela Romo debut LP after years of searching for it.
* Meeting Chava in person

In no particular order, these were my highlights. This year has been a good one for me with music. I think. Working at Tower did have a benefit, I would get free Cds!

My favourite CDs this year, in no order.

HEATHER HEADLEY - IN MY MIND


Fantastic fantastic R&B record. Its almost "AC RnB" but it never gets sappy like Natalie Cole or Vanessa Williams records. And her voice is lovely.

JOHN LEGEND - ONCE AGAN


Wow, John really knocked me out with this record. I was a fan of his debut album but this record exceeds it as it does not have that overdubbed Kanye West touch of his record. Here its smooth 70's soul that will tickle your fancy

BELINDA - UTOPÍA

I can't stand Belinda..and as much as I wanted to not like this CD, I couldn't. Its fantastic teen pop but everything is done right. The vocals, the 80's tinged pop, the songwriting, everything is perfect and its a shame this little girl has done a better pop album than established acts in Mexico. Keep it up!

GWEN STEFANI - SWEET ESCAPE.

Say what you will, Gwen's one of those artists who likes to have fun with her music. Gone are the whiney "you broke up with me, I hate you" songwriting of her No Doubt days. Selfless fun!

THE PRESETS - BEAMS

This Australian band has yet to cause a stir in the USA, but their song "Are You The One?" captivated my attention. Its total electro and its fun music when you need to be active around your house or out running.

NELLY FURTADO - LOOSE

As much as I liked Nelly's first 2 albums, I really never expected her to adopt the RnB stylings she did on this record. And wow did she surprise me! She totally made it work for her and never sounded off. Probably the best pop album this year

LETOYA - LETOYA.

I first downloaded this CD jsut to hear and never did I think such a talent existed in Destiny's Child (her former group). This CD oozes with soul and Letoya's voice is fantastic! She is much better at singing than Beyoncé. I can see why Matthew Knowles never let her sing lead, she would have outshined her gorgeous daughter.

NOELIA - 40 GRADOS

Here's another person that I did not care for at all yet delivered a good album. Her early albums were borderline ethnic pop and ballads..then for a while turned to Reggaeton and Urban rhythms. With this CD she hooked up with Mexican producer great Adrian Posse and adopted the "rock pop" sound of Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson. But she did it right! I don't think she's ever sounded as good at a genre as she does here.

JESSE & JOY - ESTA ES MI VIDA

Though I just discovered this CD, I must say its been one of my frequently listened to albums. This bro and sister duo from Mexico creates great Brit Pop and Joy, the lead singer, has a great soulful voice. So Elan was right, there is soul in Mexico. :)

MORNINGWOOD

This CD came out in the early part of the year and became one of my frequently listened to. Its fun upbeat music with heavy guitars. You would probably recognize the songs, they whored them off to TV commercials and shows. Anyone know "The Nth Degree" and "Jet Setter"?

CHRISTINA MILIAN - SO AMAZIN'

2006 just hasn't been her year, poor thing. But this CD is really good. Its her most solid effort to date and its a big mixture of Hip Hop and RnB stylings of Ciara. I think she has yet to find her own style but still, the CD is not as horrible as people made it out to be. The title track could have been the jam of the summer, but Def Jam dropped her. Oh well.

And an honorable mention to Rihanna..whose CD I hated but "S.O.S." was stuck in my head all year.
-----------------------------
So there you have it folks, my favourites of this year. I'm sure 2007 is going to look great for me. I turn 25 and things can only get better. I love you all out there who read my blog and give me your love through kind wishes and thoughts. Your positive energy is appreciated. May you all have a great ringing of the new year and I hope to still see you all here!

Ciao!

4 Comments:

I saw the MorningWood video the other day, I forgot about them.

I forgot about Noelia too. I liked the album but i don't think she will ever beat her second album (which wasn't ethnic pop or ballads) it was good ol' teen pop!

i LOVED the morningwood cd, but lost my copy and never heard it again.

and the heather headly and cristina milian cds are great!

i LOVED the morningwood cd, but lost my copy and never heard it again.

and the heather headly and cristina milian cds are great!

OMG!!! I completely forgot about Noelia!

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense