An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Thursday, November 16, 2006

MTV TR3S..did I miss something?

Am I completely out of the loop as an American citizen of latino descent that I find this channel disturbing??

Mtv has just launched their "bilingual" channel that caters to contemporary pop music with a "latino" flair. The reason why I put the in quotation is because they neither speak English nor Spanish. I've been watching this channel for an hour now and I hear chopped sentences that mix English and Spanish. That and I've already heard a racist remark from Jeannie Ortega talking about "white parties" and how "they" are so boring and we're not.

I as a Latino find this kind of speech patters annoying. Americans think we as latinoes don't speak English to begin with and to speak it improperly isn't helping. And the Spanish territories look down on us as Latinoes in the USA as we aren't "real" and the fact that we're murdering the language by not speaking either language furthers feeds this. I always feel we should try to live as one another and be people yet this constant attempts at dividing people as "us" and "them" is incredibly detrimental to us and furthering the decay of our Latino american culture.

This channel is presenting a negative perspective on us. Their intent is to mass-market our supposed Latino culture but all they're doing is trying to make us look like caricatures as opposed to people WHO INDEED HAVE SOMETHING INTELLIGENT TO SAY. Am I really missing something here where I find this image as us as Latinoes in the USA disturbing?? If this is indeed our future, lets top it right now. This is like Blaxploitation in the 70's.

We need to do something about this and try to fix this. MTV TR3s is making us look like idiots who are incapable of forming real thoughts. I say we should all write to the media and present our argument and by us, I'm refering to the intelligent people of Latin American background in this country who object to being marketed as cartoon characters incapable of speaking one language right.

7 Comments:

it's funny how two people can interpret something so completely different :)

I personally see MTV Tres marketing itself to non-spanish speaking individuals, or individuals whose may speak some spanish at home but mostly speak english in their everyday life. The network reflects the reality of latinos in the US, especially latinos whose families have been in the US for generations. So no, I don';t think anyone is being shown in a negative light. it's just how things are in the US.

Having said that, the network is crap. Crappy music, crappy shows, crappy hosts/VJs, etc. I feel like I am watching a public access channel. But then again, this is MTV we are talking about. They arent know for quality music television. I think I shall stick with HTV, Telehit and my new favorite, Ritmo!

PS, you should have seen when laura Pausini was on there. In one sentence we had english, spanish and italian! lol

talk about confusing!

I heard a bit of the on air personality this morning and it was really obnoxious. just pick one language already!

I will admit though, I felt like I was listening to Freddy, you know he loves his spanglish! lol

Did you guys get cable?

Well if this channel is really showing how things really are...then this should be a wakeup call for a change. I'm not content to being caricaturized and being made into something "different".

Oh god that awful Spanglish..its so annoying! "Coming up en el next hour we have Shakira cantando su hit "Hips Don't Lie' live from the Premios MTV LAtin America!"...

I dunno, maybe you see things completely different from me because you didn't grow up in the ghetto like me. Maybe this is more of a personal war of the image this country has of us Latinos that I hope others can engage with me to fight.

Rob, how many times do I have to tell you, I didn't grow up a middle class white suburban neighborhood with picket fences. I grew up on Caesar Chavez Drive (yes, that's what it is called!) in Milwaukee's ghetto south side. Welfare, government cheese, food stamps and being at my ghetto puerto rican babysitter;s house every weekend was what my childhood consisted of!

Well the fight the power then! Lets showcase geeky intelligent queens like us instead!

Post a Comment

Home >>

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense