An Honorary Spanish Diva, I am

Monday, October 10, 2005

Maria Rojo and my geekyness

Holy shit!

The 41st Chicago International Film Festival has been going on since the beginning of the month. Normally, I try to see at least one film or more if I can, if money and my schedule permits. Who can remember my choice for last year, the horrible "Ma Mere" from France? So, after looking at the pamphlet for the selections for this year's festival, a few stuck out that I wanted to see. But, the one I was hellbent on seeing was "Two Auroras" from Mexico. The story sounded good, suicidal son blames his problems on his mother, who returns from living abroad to take care of him. He then takes his revenge by writing a scathing screenplay titled "Mother" and wants her to act in it. Most importantly, the REAL reason why I wanted to go was because it was starring one of my favorite actresses, MARIA ROJO. So, I requested to leave early from work on that day and bought my tickets and me and my boyfriend went.

Glad I did, for as always, the festival was packed. After waiting in line and getting seated, we wait there and all of a sudden, someone squealed and I looked down and there was Maria Rojo and the Director!!!! I was floored, I had no idea que was going to be here! I was speechless. I thought it to be a freaky coincidence..or a cosmic force. I mean the only reason why I came to see this film was because Maria was in it, and there she was, in person! Talk about a freaky moment!

After the film and after the bried Q and A session, people went down and said hello and thank you to the director and Maria. I was almost NOT going to go up to her, as I was speechless and didn't know what to say. So..I go up to her and approach her ultra warm smile..and begin my babble (yes, my man still makes fun of me for my geekyness). I roughly said to her, in Spanish as she didn't speak a word of English (The director translated her Q's during the question session).."Wow, I'm not a movie lover at all..and in fact only chose to see this ONE film from all the ones playing in the festival because you're in it! I love your work as an actress! So now to see you here, it's a nice surprise and freaky coincidence! I'm floored". She looked at me attentively and said "You don't like movies?!?!?!?! You look like the type that would! *haha*. What a shame..you should come to the movies more often! Especially for Mexican films!". She seemed dissapointed in me..but I'd like to think she was flattered. Oh, I also asked her if she knew if "Danz�n", her internationally acclaimed film from 1991, would ever be released on DVD. She said it's coming out soon! Yay! I told her I was 9 years old when the film came out and that it made me a fan. She had this look on her face as if to say "Oh Jesus". Hahaha..I hope I didn't make her feel old..saying that and she seeing me as a grown man. I would feel flattered, wouldn't you? Oh, another thing. I completely ignored the director!!!! I feel awful..I was just so starstruck by Maria Rojo..is that bad of me? Was I rude?

So, that was my geeky moment from this weekend. I swear I NEVER get geeked when meeting celebrities. I wasn't even geeked when I met Tiffany 2 years ago. It's just weird. Maybe because this meeting was unexpected. Who knows. But then again, the only other celebrity I was geeked to meet was my idol (in English at least, y'all know who I love) Cyndi Lauper. And that meeting was expected, it was at an in-store 3 years ago at Tower Records. Curiously the same location I now work at. Who knows, it was all cool though, and now I have met one of my movie divas.

Copyright © 2006 Designed by FinalSense